Date: 20/10/2011

By: José Humberto Salazar Barrios

Subject: Re: Global Citizen Description!

AN ACTIVE CITIZEN

Nelson Mandela, ex-president of South Africa, has been known in all his life as an active citizen. As leader, he has all the features of a team player. He worked with men of his race to end the Apartheid, and as a politician improved the socio-economical progress of his country that now is the main powered nation in its continent. All that stuff at expense of a lot of sacrifices. He taught us, at the same time he was helping to build a new motherland, that the respect for Human Dignity and the defense of Human Rights, begins with the accomplishment of the solidarity duties with our fellow men. This means that the struggle for the interests of the most needed is the main base for the practice of an active and efficient citizenship. In front of the problems that Colombia has, I don’t consider myself an active citizen because my participation in the searching of solutions isn’t important. I need to work more to accomplish my duties with my fellow men. An active citizenship is necessarily an active participation in the building of a more fair society for all Colombians.

New comment